If you are thinking about changes in your ability to hear; if you are worried about how well you are able to effectively communicate with family, friends or co-workers; if someone you care about is struggling with his or her ability to hear, we invite you to explore Hearing Loss Association of America’s website and to consider membership in HLAA’s national organization.
Over the course of the past 37 years, Hearing Loss Association of America has been helping people of all ages and their families live well with hearing loss.
For less than 70 cents per week (less than 10 cents per day,) membership in Hearing Loss Association of America offers its members exceptional benefits. As the leading resource in the U.S. for consumer education and engagement, HLAA provides:
- the opportunity to be counted with the 48 million Americans who live with hearing loss as HLAA advocates on a national level for strong public policy, access, and best practices in hearing healthcare
- a subscription to the award winning Hearing Loss Magazine
- captioned webinars to help you manage your hearing loss; e-news keeping you up to date on important advocacy initiatives; and HLAA chat rooms
- additional benefits and discounts
About Our Organization
According to the National Center for Health Statistics 48 million (20 percent) Americans have some degree of hearing loss, making it a public health issue third in line after heart disease and arthritis.
The Hearing Loss Association of America continues to have a significant impact on communication access, public policy, research, public awareness, and service delivery related to hearing loss. HLAA’s national support network includes an office in the Washington D.C. area, 14 state organizations, and HLAA Chapters and state organizations across the country.
HLAA brings consumers and policy makers together to learn about communication access at the national, state and local levels. HLAA staff works at the national level to affect legislation that impacts people with hearing loss, whether it’s funding for hearing aids and cochlear implants, communication access in public places, or other important issues.
HLAA provides timely and reliable information about hearing loss:
- through its website
- the excellent Hearing Loss Magazine
- the online e-News
- the Hearing Loss Support Specialists Training
- message boards/chat forums and webinars
- the annual conventions for people with hearing loss and professionals
In addition, HLAA’s Walk4Hearing is held in 21 cities across the country in the spring and fall, raising awareness about hearing loss and its management and raising community dollars for local programs and funding for the work of the national office.
Take a look at this video about your hearing, living with hearing loss and HLAA. A most common statement about this remarkable organization is, “It changed my life.”
If you need to renew your HLAA membership or want to join for the first time, visit HLAA national website’s membership page.
HLAA Member Discounts and Benefits in the Boston Area
Discounted Dinners at Legal Seafood at 26 Park Plaza, Boston
Enjoy discounts at Legal Seafood at 26 Park Plaza, Boston after your afternoon of accessible theater at the Boston Opera House.
Legal Seafood at 26 Park Plaza, Boston (a short walk from the Theater District) offers a 10% discount to members of Hearing Loss Association of America on open-caption performance dates at the Boston Opera House and Emerson Colonial Theaters. Be sure to bring your HLAA membership card to Legal to take advantage of this member benefit, eligible to HLAA cardholders and one companion each.
An Invitation to Sunday Supper with HLAA Board Members
Connect over dinner with other HLAA folks and members of the national Board of Trustees, and learn about the work of HLAA’s national office. Held annually.
Eligibility for HLAA Boston Chapter’s Assistive Listening Device (A.L.D.) Lending Program
Borrow from a selection of devices and experience peer coaching from graduates of HLAA’s Hearing Assistive Technology Training Program.
Discounted rate for HLAA’s New England Holiday Event at Longfellow’s Wayside Inn
American Hearing Benefits
The American Hearing Benefits program is available to Hearing Loss Association of America members and their immediate families without any charge. This Program involves the extension of a negotiated discount on certain product and services available from certain hearing aid providers and does not involve the provision of insurance. This program may be terminated at any time and the amount of the discount may change from time to time. It is your responsibility to determine whether the products and services you elect to purchase are covered by the Program by calling AHB at toll-free number 1.866.925.1287 or visit www.americanhearingbenefits.com.
- Free annual hearing screenings for you and your immediate family
- Referrals to AHB’s network of recommended local hearing health care professionals
- Advanced hearing solutions with the latest in hearing aid technology
- Up to 60% off suggested retail prices
- Free full two-year extended warranty with every purchase
Discount on computer-based aural training program
Neurotone, Inc., offers a 30% discount on the LACE HE (Listening and Communication Enhancement Home Edition) program for HLAA members. Find out more about LACE – click here.
Discounts through cooperating companies
- Harris Communications HLAA members get a 20% discount on most items in our store
- Avis gives members $20 off a weekly car rental in addition to a possible 25% discount
- Teltex, Inc., provides HLAA members a 20% discount off selected items
- ClearSounds Communications gives a 20% discount at checkout to HLAA members
- HITEC gives a 20% discount for assistive listening devices
- HLAA Travel is a full-featured travel website